Pirra ended up being based in one of Victoria’s earliest mansions at Lara, near Geelong. The Fairbairn group of pastoralists owned it until 1907 if they offered it into the local government. It operated due to the fact Lara Inebriates organization from 1907 until 1930. It was federal federal government sanitorium for the treating those struggling with alcoholism.
Girls and women at Pirra went to community focused programs and several were later on put in foster care or gone back to their loved ones. In 1962, the annual report described the effective keeping of Pirra girls in personal domiciles as ‚really amazing … in view regarding the previous mode of living among these girls‘.
Pirra’s first superintendent ended up being skip C. Ross Morrison (later on Mrs H. Rudduck). In March 1965, skip L.M. Dodgshun (a matron that is former Bethany Babies‘ house) took over as superintendent. Pirra had an Auxiliary, led within the early 1960s by Mr Dick Austin, which organised yard parties to increase funds.